Patch bind to pluig Kaminsky DNS vulnerability for FC7?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jul 29 20:26:00 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mike C wrote:
>>
>> Can one use the src rpm for F8 and re-configure it for FC7?
>>

> While you could probably patch every hole yourself with source builds
> or rebuilding src rpms from newer fedora versions, you would be better
> off not using Fedora if you can't or don't want to keep up with the
> upgrade cycle, and fortunately there are distributions designed for
> that situation.  RHEL5 would be very similar if you want a version
> with paid support or CentOS5 if you don't.  Either will have several
> more years of continuing update support.  They aren't even such a bad
> choice for desktop use now that the updates have brought OpenOffice
> and Firefox up to near-current releases (an unusual move - most
> updates are just backported bug/security fixes).

Yes you can use the current F9 src rpm and build it for F7.  I did the
same thing for FC6.  As for Les' contention about the upgrade cycle,
while I generally agree in this respect I would like to add, if I COULD
upgrade my current FC6 system to something newer I would.  But, I can't
because of this silly mkinitrd bug that is not allowing my Qlogic FCcard
firmware to load on boot.  With that said, I'm stuck as it were until
that's fixed.  Sure, I could probably upgrade despite that, but I
won't.  I have too much running on that system to manually unload/load
that blasted module after every reboot, even if I don't reboot it
often.  It's a silly bug that should never be a problem.

So, in some cases it's not a matter of 'keeping up with the Fedora's',
it's a matter of other problems.

--
Mark Haney
mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
 Kernel: 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 GNU/Linux

 16:31:50 up 3 days,  6:20,  2 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85