install woes

whoosh whoosh777 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 15:09:33 UTC 2008

thanks for the info,

looking at the Fedora 9  64bit DVD:

the first option is:

vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img

I  tried

vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img noapic nolapic

but that also  was frozen up.

the second option is

vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img text

I tried instead:

vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img text noapic nolapic

that is also frozen up at the:

"disc found   To begin testing the media ...." screen.

can you suggest any other boot commands to try?

On 30-Jul-08 14:25:41 Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Wednesday 30 July 2008 11:29, whoosh wrote:
>> first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,
>>
>> but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.
>>

>> I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
>> it freezes up at the test media screen.
>>
>> I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
>> failed!
>>

>> I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
>> choose language screen.
>>
>> The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
>> maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.
>>
>> so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a
>> language"
>>
>> screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.
>>

>> I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.
>>

>> when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for Ubuntu).
>>

>> I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and Windows
>> XP
>>
>> all the time without problem.

>This may not be of much help, but I recently built a new machine with an Asus

>M2N-X Plus mobo (sktAM2), and an AMD64 3800+ CPU. Nothing at all would boot
>on it, install discs, or live cd's, (keyboard, mouse, whole machine locked
>up), until I disabled acpi in the BIOS, so that may be worth a try.

>I still had a bunch of problems installing some distros. Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon

>7.10 (live cd, with option to install on desktop once booted) booted, and got

>as far as startx, but locked up before showing the KDM splash screen.

>Fedora 8 installed ok, but I had problems booting post install, and had to do

>an interactive startup, as it was hanging at starting some services
>(ip6tables, and cpu frequency scaling), which I then said (NO) to during the
>interactive startup. It looks like I may have had problems also, when it got
>booted as far as startx, with locking up prior to displaying GDM login
>screen, as I see that I've appended the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>with noapic nolapic

>Then I tried installing Kubuntu Breezy, which is perhaps a similar age to
your

>FC3, and that installed ok, using the kernel 2.6.12-9-386. Upgraded Breezy to

>Dapper, as I had the updates lying about on another disk, which gave me a new

>kernel 2.6.15-52-386. Rebooted into the new kernel, and it got as far as
>displaying KDM to login, but again everything was locked up. Well I knew that

>it booted ok with the original kernel, so tried it just to very that Dapper
>would work ok with the older kernel, and no problems. Not sure if I tried
>appending the new kernel with noapic nolapic, but if I did it didn't work, as

>I ended up booting into runlevel 1, tried startx, and the KDE desktop opened
>with no probs. So I thought I'd boot into runlevel 3, login, and try startx
>as user. Appended the kernel line with a 3 in grub, booted, and no runlevel
>3, but now the new kernel (2.6.15) has no problems, KDM opens, and I login
>with no probs. Thats a bit weird, I know, but seems to indicate perhaps, that

>it might be a kernel related problem, all these freeze ups, as no prob with
>2.6.12, but probs with 2.6.15, and later.

>Sorry for this very long post, but persevere please.

>Now back to Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. I tried alsorts to try and stop it
>locking up when starting X. noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, noapic nolapic
>(together), ll to no avail. The kernel line to boot the live cd also had a
>bit "forcevesa" or something like that. I thought that should have been ok.
>The pci-E graphics card is ati, but usually vesa works ok if ati won't, but I

>did notice that the the monitors menu showed a resolution of 1640 x
>something, and my monitor uses 1024 x 768, so maybe the lockups were due to
>the monitor/graphics card being totally out of range, when trying to use
>either the vesa or ati driver with booting the live cd.

>I removed the forcevesa bit from the kernel line, and appended it with
>acpi=off, and booted, it got as far as starting x, tried to start it a couple

>of times, then dropped me back into text mode. Can't remember if I directly
>edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, to change the max res to 1024 x 768, or if I ran
>dpkg --reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, but either way, once done a startx
got