Problems with ath5k and Madwifi drivers

Giovanni Cucca giovanni.cucca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 01:55:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I have a problem with wireless not working on my laptop.
I have an Atheros card, but neither ath5k nor Madwifi drivers are
working.

[oneiros at sincity ~]$ /sbin/lspci |grep Atheros
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

When using the ath5k driver, it will bring up wlan0, but then is
incapable of scanning for network, or even to manually connect to known
ESSIDs. If I deactivate and reactivate wireless in NetworkManager, I
have those messages in /var/log/messages:

Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state
change: 3 -> 2
Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): deactivating
device.
Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): taking down
device.
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): bringing up
device.
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not
ready
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state
change: 2 -> 3

If I use the madwifi drivers, I get this error at the startup:

Avvio del demone Avahi... Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process     [FALLITO]

then it tries to load cups and there it hungs forever.

How can I bring up wireless?

Giovanni
--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)