install woes, SUCCESS! and a bit about GRUB added

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Jul 31 10:41:31 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 05:43, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 18:56 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Also, when you have a kernel update, you will also have to append the
> > kernel line for the new kernel, in /boot/grub/menu.lst with acpi=off.
> > A bit of a nuisance I know, and all part of the fun in working with
> > Linux, but will avoid a lockup with the new kernel
>
> Are you sure about that?  Anytime I've updated a kernel, the new one has
> been installed using the same parameters as were on the prior kernel
> entry.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Hi Tim. I was also helping the OP with problems booting Kubuntu, and by
coincidence had just had a kernel update on my Kubuntu install, and certainly
the new kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst had replaced "quiet splash", which I'd
removed, and didn't show the "acpi=off".

Your no doubt correct in the case of Fedora. I know I've a whole bunch of
updates that need doing on Fedora 8, including a kernel update, so I'll check
that post update.

All the best.

Nigel.