Fedora 9 & runlevel 3

Bob Barrett bobbrrtt at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 15:43:07 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> g wrote:
>> Bob Barrett wrote:
>>> It looks like it has booted in runlevel 3, but something is then
>>> running "telinit 5". I've searched recent mails to this list, and
>>> I've searched the startup scripts, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, etc., but have
>>> not been able to find anything. Any suggestions?
>>
>> another place to check might be menu.lst. something strange, but you
>> never
>> know.
>
> menu.lst is better known in the Fedora world as:  /etc/grub.conf
>
> Check to see if there is a "5" on any of your kernel lines....

Thanks, guys, but it's not in /boot/grub/grub.conf. I'm sorry I didn't
list every file I've looked at, but I have looked at everything in
/etc/rc.d. I ran these commands:

 sudo grep -iIrs gdm /etc/ | less -iM ,          nothing applicable
 sudo grep -iIrs xdm /etc/ | less -iM ,          nothing applicable
 sudo grep -iIrs 'telinit 5' /etc/ | less -iM      nothing applicable
 sudo grep -iIrs telinit /etc/ | less -iM           nothing applicable
 sudo grep -iIrs 'runlevel 5' /etc/ | less -iM   nothing applicable
 sudo grep -iIrs runlevel /etc/ | less -iM        nothing applicable

/boot/grub/grub.conf :

title Fedora 9 (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=2b61feae-2acf-4466-b0a8-2964e18fbe11 vga=0x31A
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img
        savedefault

I had not thought of grub.conf, but as I said, it seems to boot into
runlevel 3, and then immediately change to runlevel 5. I've also checked
the installed bash and profile files. Of course these don't run until
after one has logged in.

Bob