Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

Antti Aspinen antti.aspinen at phnet.fi
Mon Jun 2 18:36:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:27:52 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Sorry, Antti. I'm still running F7 and I have no clue. I pine for
> simpler days and feel your pain. This may be even more clueless,
but....

Thanks for the message Ric. It gave me one of the brightest ideas for a
few days. And by the way, my computer is not laptop. Thank god for that.

I blacklisted (into /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) the drivers (added lines
for snd_via82xx and snd_via82xx_modem among with that webcam) and got my
sounds back after lifting DAC and DAC2 volumes up. Wooohoo. Man I was
already willing to pull rawhide to check out if it was a bug already
fixed in somewhere. Thanks. :-)

Now if only I could make ETQW spout something instead of being silent
because of PulseAudio. In Fedora 8 I could add "load-module
module-alsa-sink device=plug:dmix:0" into /etc/pulse/default.pa but now
it causes PulseAudio server to crash at startup. I've got couple of
suggestions and one did almost work I got sound but it caused also lots
of "idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 2648 frames overflowed and dropped"
errors and in general bad audio quality. It would be great if Fedora
would try to become the platform for Gnu/Linux gamers since no
distripution has tried it before exept for Gentoo of course.

Thanks, I'll go to listen some music and watch videos. :)

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen at phnet.fi>