Problems in Fedora 8

antonio.barragan antonio.barragan at ucv.ve
Tue Jun 3 23:38:01 UTC 2008

Dear All

I have a linux box which is as follows:
MSI K8T Neo-V Mainboard, 1 GB RAM
Athlon 3000 processor
Samsung 160 GB HDD SATA
Seagate 40 GB IDE HDD
Lite-On DVD RW unit SATA
PNY Verto Nvidia 6200 graphics card, 256 MB, Digital and analog output
Samsung SyncMaster 940 BW monitor (19 inch, WXGA mode)
The machine is configured to boot from the DVD unit.

I have been trying  to install Fedora 8, but so far,  this is what happens:

- The first menu (text) where you could choose text mode installation
goes so fast
  there is no time to do anything
- The splash menu does not appear at all
- After quite a while (several minutes) the following messages appear:
- A sequence of messages appear next, but they go quite fast. The last
one is recognizing the VC
 as a Nvidia NV44A (GeForce 6200)
- Then the anaconda seems to start.
- From there on, a white screen appears, as if the graphics installation
tried to start, but
 there\'s only the white screen without any kind of icons or messages
and the system stays
 like that forever (I waited for half an hour and nothing else happened!)

- The monitor has 2 modes: Analog and Digital. I tried both with the
same result

BTW, his happens the same with OpenSuse 10.3

I will greatly appreciate any help or hint with this

Thanks in advance
Antonio Barragan