Sharing CD-ROM over Samba on Fedora 8

Daniel Tweedy daniel.tweedy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 06:44:18 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you have any experience of sharing a
cd-rom over samba, i'm not having very much luck in getting it working
you see, have googled and search a lot and I think I am very close to
getting it working, but am kinda stuck as to what else I could do from
where I am, so I am really looking for a few pointers/tips/ideas.

[cdrom]
comment = CD-ROM
path = /cdrom
writable = no
locking = no
public = yes
read only = yes
valid users = %S

This is what i'm using at the moment and it shows up on the windows pc
but it asks for a password when I try to connect, but none of the users
set up on the box or in the smbpasswd file work and root doesn't work
either, it just keeps poping up asking for the password again no matter
what I try.

Thanks,
Daniel.