Fedora 2.6.22 or later kernel on Centos 5.1

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 21:32:31 UTC 2008

Nataraj wrote:
> Is it possible to run a 2.6.22 or later tickless kernel supporting the
> Vmware VMI 3.0 on a Centos 5.1 system?  I had in mind using a fedora
> kernel for this purpose.

I don't know what it takes to support vmware vmi 3.0.   When I attempt to
deviate from the the kernels supplied I get a vanilla kernel.org kernel and
compile it using the same config file that was used on the original kernel,
possibly changing a few settings to be close to what I need.

Read up on what is required to compile and install a vanilla kernel on Centos
and try that first.  I would probably do 2.6.25.4, I am running that on a F7
machine, and a number of the kernel developers regularly compile and use new
kernels on various Centos and Fedora versions.

This should be decent start, though some of the instructions don't count for
Centos 5.x series (they are Centos 4.x specific-specifically the mpt* notes):

http://howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos

> Is there an easy way to know in general which kernel releases are
> compatible with libraries/installed packages from particular linux
> distributions?

In general almost no packages depend on the kernel.   UDEV, and any kernel
hardware modules are about the only things that actually care that the kernel
changes.   Everything else interacts through the kernel through fairly standard
interfaces that don't change for different kernel versions.

                           Roger