OT: Does a proxy IMAP server exist?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jun 4 22:29:13 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley writes:

> What I'd really like to have is something on my desktop that acts like
> an IMAP server, but really forwards requests to the main server, however
> it does allow me to do procmail/spamassassin/bogofilter processing of the mail
> on the corporate IMAP server so I can delete obvious spam, etc. before
> anything talking to my local IMAP server even sees it.

Given the complexity of IMAP, I would be rather surprised if such a beast
ever exists. Most of the other replies to your post have ignored this part
of your requirements.

You're better of with the approach of running fetchmail to download messages
to your local IMAP mailbox (and they'll probably have to be deleted from
your corporate IMAP server, unless fetchmail can keep track of which ones it
already downloaded -- and I don't know if it can) and filtering it on your
local IMAP mailbox.