Switching virtual terminals

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 7 03:55:16 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> The number of virtual consoles with logins are controlled by
> /etc/inittab through F8. It changes in F9 - it looks like upstart
<snip>
> permission to use them.) I like using vc10 for log messages, and vc9 for
> debugging output.

my ref is to what i have seen up thru f8 and m2k8.0.

i was aware of assignment from cromix and have a 'linux encyclopedia'
that has several howto's for using vc8 -> vc12. there is even one that
shows how to have vc1 -> vc24.

it was easy enough, tried and liked it. did not see need justified time
to go thru with every new install.

years back, early linux, i admired and amused by a 'admin station' that
was set up to use 'f13' -> 'f24' keys to bring workstations up in a
quad split screen. 'f' key toggled station on/off to open split. neat.

--

tc,hago.

.