Switching virtual terminals

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 14:11:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 14:09 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2008 08:29:12 Jim Dever wrote:
> > g wrote:
> > >
> > > you are saying 'from an x session', then 'from a text console' and
> > > 'same tty'.
> > >
> > > so, 'from an x session to a text console, aka, virtual console,
> > > staying in same tty, aka, same virtual console'.
> > >
> > > correct?
> >
> > Let me try and explain better.  From X:  Alt-CTRL-F1 takes me to a
> > virtual console (tty1).  From X:  Alt-CTRL-F2 takes me to a virtual
> > console (tty2).  But once I'm at a text, virtual console Alt-F1 or
> > Alt-F2 or Alt-F3....  don't do anything.  I remain at the terminal where
> > I came out of X.  And I can't get back into X either.  I'm stumped.

> > > for me with f8, saa.

> > > as in what type keyboard? 102 -> 110 key? special music / power, etc?
> > > din, pc, usb port?
> >
> > Machine is about a 7 year old Dell with a 110 key PC keyboard.  It's not
> > USB or wireless or anything like that.
> >
> FWIW my ~6-year-old Packard Bell laptop has the same problem.  The only wayout
> I can find is to shut down.

It would be interesting to see if the Alt key is actually being detected
in console mode. The keyboard tables are loaded at boot time but they
can change when X starts up, so it's possible that Alt in console mode
is simply not being read. Can't think of an easy test off the top of my
head but I'm sure somebody out there can :-)

/usr/share/doc/kbd-1.12/kbd.FAQ.html (part of kbd.rpm) would probably be
the place to start.

poc