Can I control Volume Labels during System Build?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 7 23:41:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 00:21 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Since I have different system versions on my disks I would like to control the
> various volume labels rather than having anaconda pick their names. For example
> my F8 system would get labels like /F8/boot, the F9 system would then have
> labels like /F9/boot etc. However, anaconda picks its own strange system which
> you can't change afterwards because the anaconda generated labels show up in
> grub.conf and initrd.<kernel version>.img and maybe other places.
>
> So my question is: Is it at all possible to give the system partitions labels
> after my own scheme and how?

Yes.

I started the installation, but before it gets around to the
partitioning your drives section, CTRL+ALT+Fn around to find a console
that I could enter commands in, then used fdisk to pre-partition my
drive as I wanted, and used mkfs to format partitions and give them
label names as per my own preferences, likewise with mkswap.  I also
used the options to check the drives during the formatting, which does
make things take longer, but I'd like to find out about faults now
rather than later.  Then I CTRL+ALT+Fn to go back to the install
routine, pick the custom drive layout option, and select my prepared
partitions for specific mountpoints, and make sure that they're not set
to be formatted.

The fstab and grub files use UUIDs to refer to partition, they're
automatically created when you create partitions, and the system works
them out for you.  You don't have to use them though, you can change
your mount point definitions from referring to UUIDs to referring to
labels.

You can use the blkid command to see a table of which device, UUID and
volume labels refer to each other, when it comes to re-writing your
grub.conf and fstab files.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.