Strange Occurrence

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 11 11:58:54 UTC 2008

Gene Poole wrote:
> After running a yum update ( su -c 'yum -y update') the machine would boot
> but only go to just before the user login screen (graphic).  I booted from
> the rescue cd and attempted to figure out what was wrong (which I couldn't
> at that point), but I did mange to get it booted to the super user.  What I
> ended up doing was to run a yum command to remove the nVidia driver ( su -c
> 'yum -y remove kmod-nvidia').
>
> Everything is working correctly at this point, but I don't have the nVidia
> driver installed.  Has anyone else run into this issue?
So:
1. your kernel version probably changed
# grep kernel /var/log/yum.log

2. the external repo module technology doesn't automatically rebuild a
new kernel module for the new kernel, or the nvidia driver is no loner
compatible with the new kernel.

I had been using the freshrpms nvidia module package based on dkms, and
this just rebuilt the kernel module interface whenever a new kernel was
booted. Now I wait until the external repo catches up with the released
kernel update...

DaveT.