DNS: Can public and private data be hosted by the same server?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Jun 11 14:02:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 06:15:58 pm Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 08:54 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Apparently restorecon incorrectly set the named directory to the wrong
> > context (named_conf_t) so I had to manually set it to named_log_t.
>
> That probably should be bugzilla'd.  It would seem that you're using it
> correctly, and shouldn't need manual intervention.  If its logs get
> rotated, you might have to intervene for each intervention.  Not good.
> Did you let it create the initial log file, or did you touch the
> filename yourself, beforehand?

Initially, the DNS complained of missing log files (it could not
find them), so that tells me that it does not create directory/log
files by default.  Grr...

So, I created it by hand but in the wrong place (/var/log/named)
even though I thought I had correctly set the permissions and
context. When someone hinted that DNS is chrooted, I moved
the named directory to (chroot)/var/log, not realizing that restorecon
incorrectly set the (chroot)/var/log/named directory context but
correctly set the log file(s) context.

But once I corrected the (chroot)/var/log/named directory context ,
split-DNS ran cleanly without errors.

Dan