How can we speed up rpm downloads?

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:54:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 17:54 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Justin Conover
> > <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   At 34MB it still takes
> > > time, but .deb is 50MB cheaper that the .rpm.
> >
> > you are comparing two different packages (2.0.4 and 2.4)
>
> There's a few other problems with a direct comparison of sizes because
> they are two packages called "core" with somewhat differing content. The
> Debian "core" package depends on a "common" package which is an
> additional 27megs in size. The content of both of these is included in
> the single Fedora "core" rpm. Additionally the default help content is
> included in the Fedora "core" rpm, which is available in the deb
> packages as help-en_US, which is another additional 11 megs.
>
> Additionally displaying help itself requires the use of the core writer
> libraries to render the html help, in Debian this means that the
> "writer" package is a dependency of help, and that's an additional 6megs
> in size in its .deb. While in Fedora writer is split into the optional
> bits called "writer" and the core required for use by help. Shrinking
> the "writer" rpm by approx 3 megs, and inflating the "core" one by the
> same.
>
> To manually extract the various contents for side-by-side comparison you
> can use
>
> rpm2cpio something.rpm | cpio -ivd
> vs
> ar x something.rpm
> tar xzf data.tar.gz
>
> C.
>
> --

Ok, everyone in this thread is replying to OOO, that was not my intent.  If
you compare the speed of getting updates in debian and fedora, debian is
much faster.  Forget package size at this point.  Is it parallel downloads
maybe.

My main deal here is about the speed in which it takes to download all
updates and install.  I was merely trying to understand why debian seems to
be much faster.

I've been a loyal Fedora user since RH 6.2 or some were in there :) so I'm
not leaving, just trying to understand when i play with it once in awhile it
just handles downloads differently.