tr problem

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jun 12 22:39:00 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to convert a test file, src code for a legacy computer,
>>> whose eol is a single cr into one with a newline subbed for each cr,
>>> and tr is being a pita, it broken, or there is PEBKAC.
>>>
>>> If I use this syntax:
>>>
>>> tr -c \r \n <filename  >filename2
>>>
>>> Then the whole file is converted to nnnnnnnnnn's, every byte.
>>>
>>> The manpage (and pinfo tr too) is, shall we say, completely lacking
>>> in how to handle the file I/O.
>>>
>>> So how do you use tr?"
>>>
>>> Or is there a better tool for this than tr?
>>>

>> The tr syntax would be
>> tr -d '\r'
>> but for one or a few files you can just load in vi (vim) and
>> :set fileformat=unix
>> and write it back out.
>>
>> Plus, you probably have a program called dos2unix installed...
>
> Oops, I should have read past the word 'legacy' which must not have
> meant what I thought.
> tr '\r' '\n'
> should work.

More like:

	cat input-filename | tr '\r' '\n' >output-filename

Not so?  tr is a filter.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
- I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do  -
-                                  in it.                            -
-                                                      -- WC. Fields -