Fwd: [help] how to deal with Incorrect metadata area header checksum in LVM

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 13 20:23:17 UTC 2008

max wrote:
> Zhen Zhou wrote:

>>> You might find experts in LVM hanging out on:
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>> FTA, thanks for your tips.
>> and I really wonder whether these errors "Incorrect metadata area
>> header checksum,
>> Volume group VolGroup00 metadata is inconsistent" is impossible to
>> recover.
>>
>> Or what I need to deal, is to follow:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/196481
>> to recover all lvm's data?
>>
>> Any tips will be welcome. TIA
>>
>> Zhou Zhen
>>
> I asked in a related thread on the developer's list and I'll ask here.
> Someone please let me know if my question doesn't make any sense. Is it
> harder to recover files from an LVM than with the older partioning scheme?

FWIW, I did recover data from an LVM that was removed (on purpose) in
part of an upgrade.  I couldn't mount the drive as the LVM recovery
procedures listed and I thought I was toast.  If I left the drive in the
computer, the computer would try to add the drive back into the LVM no
matter what I tried.

To complicate things even further, the drive was part of a RAID 1 array.
  I put the drive into a carrier.  As the drive was SATA, I ended up
getting a Thermaltake carrier that supports SATA and IDE (end product
plug). :)

It was many months ago but I used normal recovery tools to pull the data
off of the drive.  I would have to look at my notes which are at home.
If I remember I will see if I can find my notes.

Basically, it is possible but I don't know if it is harder as this was
my first time.

--
Robin Laing