Dragging and dropping files on the desktop ? Opening them ? Remove this icon ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:52:42 UTC 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008 22:27:47 linuxguy wrote:
> I am running F9, KDE 4.0.
>
> Is it me or is one not able to drag a file into a folder on the KDE 4.0
> desktop ?
>
> And, while we are at it, when I click a file on the desktop, a larger
> shadow box appears with the 4 icons on the right hand side.   What are
> those icons supposed to be for ?

Not completed yet.  They are the toolbox that will replace the context-menu in
KDE3.

> If I right click on a file, it gives me an option to "Remove this icon".
> If I do that, how do I get it back ?

Not certain - maybe by creating a link?  See below.

> How do I delete the file from the
> desktop instead of removing its icon ?

You can't, at the moment, do it directly from the desktop.  If you want a real
deletion go to your desktop folder in dolphin and delete it there.

Most of these things are not fully working in 4.0.x.  All, I believe, have
been fixed in 4.1, which is currently in feature-freeze, due for release in
late July, and expected in Fedora early August.

Have you seen the screencast at http://www.ereslibre.es/?p=104

Fedora's decision to run 4.0.x has been contentious, but in fact has been very
valuable to the developers in helping identify and fix many bugs.

Anne