Fedora ain't playin' around w/Firefox 3.

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 15:55:30 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 6/18/08, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: Fedora ain't playin' around w/Firefox 3.
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 8:44 AM
> On Wednesday 18 June 2008 16:37:06 Tim wrote:
> > > google claims that they're not going to do
> anything with the data, but
> > > there's nothing to stop them if they do.
> >
> > Like we believe that... (about a company who's
> stated aim was to
> > database everything).  I think it's more of a
> concern what they'd do
> > with it, rather than worrying *if* they'll do
> something with it.
>
> The answer's simple enough.  If you don't trust
> them, don't use it.
>
> Anne
>
> --

I saw something that might be related in some way or another.

I also use Slax Linux Live CD, and I saw that firefox contained something called Trackware.Alexa,

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=11837&highlight=alexa%20in%20firefox

Trackware.Alexa should only affect Windows users as the following link

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-062410-3624-99

says, but If it made its way into Linux.  We are not safe anymore are we?

We do not need "Toolbars" and those trackware/malware/spyware stuff that exists in Windows.  We have to keep an eye out for what is coming.  Now I can say Gooooooo..........ooo Konqueror!!!! :)

Thanks for the warning, I was looking forward to update Firefox, now I'll keep it as it came with Fedora 9.

Regards,

Antonio