Firefox for ever

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 19 07:37:05 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:
> Sorry to be mean, but why don't Fedora [KDE SIG] just admit
> that no browser they produce is likely to be as good as Firefox?

* We don't produce Konqueror, upstream KDE does.

* IMHO Konqueror is really the better browser:
- faster
- integrates better into KDE
- supports KParts in addition to Mozilla plugins
- more standards-compliant (passed ACID2 long before Firefox did, and Konqueror
4 also beats Firefox 3 at ACID3)

* There are also other practical considerations for shipping only Konqueror on
the KDE Live image:
- It's the default browser in upstream KDE.
- It's an integral part of kdebase, so shipping Firefox too would mean shipping
2 browsers.
- Firefox requires a lot of space on the live CD, which we don't have.
- If you really want Firefox, it's just a "yum install firefox" away.

        Kevin Kofler