NM alternatives for wireless

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jun 19 12:53:10 UTC 2008

Andras Simon wrote:
> Are there any alternatives to NetwokManager for managing wireless connections?
> I don't care if it's got gui or cli as long as it lets me configure
> multiple connections and choose from among them.
>
> Andras

I have a similar situation, wireless at home and at the office and at
Wifi hotspots all over town.  To be honest, I've given up on the GUI
clients almost completely (NM I think might be coming along, but it's
not high on my list to try to debug since I don't use it that often) and
have gone with some very simple BASH scripts that let me load whatever
configuration I want when I need it.  I've never been particularly lucky
with loading wireless interfaces on boot (one desktop being the
exception, it works perfectly) and load them as I need them.

Granted it's not as user friendly, but it's simple, it works
consistently for me and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support