SSL VPN

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Thu Jun 19 14:10:48 UTC 2008

John Priddy wrote:
> Oh, forgot to mention -- if your vendor is on this list, try using
> 'vpnc':
>
> http://www.vpnc.org/member-list.html
>
> http://www.vpnc.org/
>

> There should be howtos on this all over the web.

Okay, I'm a bit late joining this thread so call me clueless if I ask
the obvious, but...

My company (small) has a low end SonicWall firewall appliance with VPN
capability. We have a bunch of mobile employees with laptops travelling
regularly (including myself). Most have Windows or OSX machines and have
VPN clients (commercial) that can connect no problem. I'm the oddball. I
have a MacBook Pro with a small OSX partition and the rest Linux Fedora
(currently F8, but I want to upgrade to F9 once I figure out all the
details on my test machine). I can VPN in on the OSX side, and I can
even run F8 under VMWare and make use of the the OSX VPN connection. But
I don't want to use VMWare because F8 runs slower than when I boot into it.

So, to make a long story short, what I want is a way to make a VPN
connection to a SonicWall firewall from Linux, either F8 or F9. Can it
be done? If so, how??? I've tried this many times in the past and have
yet to succeed (hence the small OSX partition). And yes, SonicWall is
listed on www.vpnc.org/member-list.html.

TIA for any help you can give..

John