Web page problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 21 06:39:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 11:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have setup a softlink from /var/www/html/gene/linkname
> That points to another directory here, owned by a different user.  All
> that has been chown'ed to apache:apache as I just noted some of it was
> owned by root.

For what it's worth, it's not a good idea to chown webserveable files to
Apache.  That'll (usually) let the webserver write all over them.  The
usual way to webserve files is to have someone else own them, and make
the directories and files world readable.

> I can goto that page with FF3 and display the contents as a file
> listing just fine.

Do you mean you're browsing the file systems directly, not through a web
server?  e.g. file:///var/www/html/gene/.....

Or that you're browsing a file listing produced by the webserver?
e.g. http://localhost/gene/

> I cannot actually view, from a web browser, any of the text files
> there displayed, or start a download of any of the compressed files
> that may be there.
>
> Just for grins I fired up FF-2.0.0.14, and it works fine.  Is there
> some option I need to enable in FF3?

Using the Firefox 3 that came with Fedora 9 (current update to it), I've
not come across any cases where it won't download something from my
webservers that the older Firefox would.

What sort of things are you trying to download?  Are they anything that
might appear to be like a Firefox add-on, which might be blocked by
preferences?  (Though I'd expect a warning, rather than silent
blocking.)

If it weren't for things working in one browser, but not another, I'd be
suspecting a SELinux issue (the contexts of your files not being
webservable), or plain old permissions issues (files being world
readable, and directories, and all parent directories, being world
readable).

Another thing that springs to mind:  Is it downloading them, but doing
it in the background?  (No indication that it's doing a download, no
indication that it's done.)  Have a look in your downloads directory.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.