Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 22 07:41:02 UTC 2008

[Tim wrote about sound mixing]

Patrick O'Callaghan:
>> Totally agree with this. It's hard enough even figuring out what the
>> various mixer controls even control.

David Boles:
> It is a choice. If you, either of you, do not like it you should disable it.
> But I seriously doubt that Pulseaudio will 'just go away' because you don't
> like it.  ;-)

What I wrote was less about pulse audio, per se, but the whole idea of
sound mixing, with or without it.  Pulse audio gives you individual
volume levels, but really they're controlled from the wrong place.  Alsa
is somewhat similar.

I see the value of being able to call up a mixer, and adjust levels.
But let that be a remote.  So if you adjust volume on your CD player,
it's the *same* as adjusting it on the mixer (not two interactive
controls - have the same control in two places).  Pulse audio comes into
it's own when you do something like turn the sound down on your ogg
player, and only the ogg player, you don't adjust all the PCM devices,
or screw around with the master control.  But, again, the volume control
on the player should be the *same* control that you get to play with on
the mixer panel.

And quite why we have two messily interdependent volume control mixer
thingoes is beyond me (on Gnome, at least).  We have the volume control
thing, that we've been used to over the last few years, plus the pulse
audio volume controller.  And both need playing with to hear sound.
Which is made all the more harder by pulse audio's controls disappearing
and appearing, depending on whether your audio software is currently
playing, or not.

And going back to something I touched on in my original message, the
average set of system annunciators are stupidly created, anyway.  Yes,
you probably do want a loud "red alert" sound file for big warnings and
emergencies.  But you want much softer dings and beeps for things like
incoming messages, and "okay" responses.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.