Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jun 22 23:07:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:56:41 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:05:20 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > So, if you have an nvidia card, the best bet for a working driver is to
> > add the livna repo and download the kmod-nvidia driver.
>
> 	I *think* so; what I know of hardware would go comfortably in a
> gnat's eye.
>
> 	I do now have livna on all three Fedora machines that use this
> monitor; and have run or am running yum update. But I don't know how to
> download -- just "yum install kmod-nvidia"? Or kmod-nvidia-driver? Or
> kmod-nvidia_driver? Or ....

yum install kmod-nvidia will probably work, or you could search for
nvidia in whatever the new PackageKit tool is (probably under
something like Add/Remove software in the menus).

> > You could take a look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see if is says
> > things like "Oh look, I'm supposed to run this display at 1680x1050, but
> > I don't think that's a good idea" :-).
>
> 	Doing that now ...

The log file will have lines with (NV) on them if you are using the
nv driver. Possibly the installer generated xorg.conf file will also
mention the nv driver.

If its not an nvidia card, you definitely don't want to install the
nvidia drivers :-).

I think the lspci tool can also give you a good hint about what hardware
is on the system.