linux - scientific

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 23 07:11:43 UTC 2008

Michael Hannon wrote:
> We use Scientific Linux a lot at work.  It's a recompiled RHEL, similar
> to  CentOS.  We use it mostly for servers and have been happy with it.

other than servers, how do you use scientific linux?

currently, my desire is to use scientific linux for a workstation.
i need a good system that is stable for control system design.

> It has  very good community support via their mailing lists, and the

this is what i would expect from a '.gov' and i am looking forward to see
how well they follow thru with 'government attitude'. [positive type]

> Note that Scientific Linux, as with other "enterprise" distributions,

other than a good stable system, my only other _need_ of 'package software'
is in using gnucash. audio and video are just more 'icing on cake' for me.

> Scientific Linux will typically be supported for three years or more,
> while Fedora needs to be updated about once a year.

3 year support is great and advantageous, but i really do not mind doing an
upgrade more often. after all, most long term support is almost an upgrade.

> Another thing to note is that Scientific Linux does not meet the same
> purity-of-essence standard as Fedora: the distribution contains software
> that is free and useful but not GPL'ed.

'poe' is more icing, but not a necessity. i scanned a bunch of pages on site
but did not look into what extra software they supply. a lot of what i will
be using is used in 'fedora electronic lab'. what is available thru scientific
linux will be more icing.

thanks for you reply.

later.

--