Periodic Fedora 9 system hangs with jumpy mouse

Bowe Strickland bowe at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 10:57:41 UTC 2008

>> I have reinstalled Fedora 9 (not an upgrade) onto a system that used
>> to run F7 fine (except for a new video card, see below).
>>
>> Now I am seeing intermittent system hangs or lockups; probably about
>> 2 or 3 per day.  This happens most often if I'm scrolling a page in
>> Firefox with the mouse wheel, but it has happened a few other times
>> too. Usually when this happens I'm doing very little other than
>> viewing a webpage or typing at the terminal shell.  No music or
>> video is playing;

>> Does anybody have any ideas what might be happening; and is there anything
>> I can do to help diagnose this problem or obtain more information that
>> may be useful?

I had very similar symptoms after installing F9, which seemed to be coming
from bursts of disk I/O (as noted by the "system monitor" applet's harddisk
panel), usually when firefox browswing or using gvim.  After updating to
firefox-3.0-1.fc9.i386 a week or so ago, I've not had any problems...

--bowe