What is the matter with fedora 9? ... Network Manager rocks !

Andrea Mastellone andrea.mastellone at fastwebnet.it
Thu Jun 26 19:18:39 UTC 2008

Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:

>>> it introduced a NetworkManager which prohibits networking.
>>
>> NetworkMangler has been around since FC6 (at least), by making it the
>> default it became impossible to ignore. It does the right thing in
>> cases where you have one hardwire or wireless connection which can see
>> only one AP. For all other cases wait for the human readable
>> documentation which will be here... or maybe not, since it was coming
>> with FC7, 8, and 9.
>>
> After about a dozen installs of Fedora 9 I cannot agree with you on
> that.  On every system save one there is only one network connection, in
> each of those cases it's been /dev/eth0 and NM would not enable the
> connection by default.
> Maybe there's documentation on the way that will make NM a breeze to
> configure but until that time it's out the window.  I disable the
> NetworkManager service and enable the network service during kickstart
> installs.  All my systems have a statically leased DHCP address and it
> works just fine.
> Bottom line for me:  NM breaks far more than it fixes.

My NM esperience is instead absolutely positive. I have tryed it since
F7, but at that time I was very disappointed and turned it off, as in
F8. In F9 I just wanted to give last chance and NM won.

I have a very standard hardware: Realtek RTL-8139 (wired) and Intel
2200BG (wireless), perhaps this is a key ingredient.

It connects virtually to everything: I tested it over wireless
connections (free, wep, wpa, wpa2), and wired ones, sometimes PPP over a
modem. Some connections require manual IP settings, that I have
configured in NM by editing the connections: all of them work flawlessly.

I have noticed only a bug (due to wpa_supplicant, namely): while
connecting to a wireless network with a hidden essid, sometimes the
connection attempts fail and I have to restart NM service in order to
get a successful connection. After the wpa_supplicant today update, that
problem is fixed and NM is a charm.

The only criticism is about the documentation: is very lacking at this
stage.

My 2 cents.

Andrea