What is the matter with fedora 9?

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Fri Jun 27 08:52:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:00 -0700, Craig White wrote:
<snip>

> The thing I love about flat earth folks who disparage things like
> NetworkManager and PulseAudio is that they are consistently blind to the
> fact that there are circumstances where these are valuable tools.
>
> Craig

Indeed.
Yes.

And they are nothing at all like the [whatever the opposite of flat
earth folks are] who think things like NetworkManager and PulseAudio are
the holy grail because there are circumstances where these are valuable
tools in spite of the huge volume of other, more common, circumstances
where they are in fact less useful than hammered dung. And why must the
not-flat-earth-folks then disparage the flat-earth-folks for pointing
out exactly this fact?

I can use a nine pound brick to get into my locked car. In the right
circumstances I'd even call it a valuable tool and count myself blessed
for having had it available to me. But for the most part, there are more
desirable and functional ways of getting into my locked car, and I'm
happy to make them my first choice. Yes even when the nine pound brick
seems to be on sale at every corner grocery, and/or given to me in lieu
of keys when I buy my next car.

You know (and this is probably just me venting some workplace
frustrations, so forgive me), you don't often hear people bitching about
stuff that works. Especially when it works as expected, without any kind
of intervention.

Andy