usb warning at boot time with kernel 2.6.25.6-27.fc8

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 27 11:03:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:02 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> I have this message since I updated he kernel on an f8 system:
>
> "unable to enumerate usb device on port 1"
>
> same message is repeated for other ports.
>
> What does it mean? And how to get rid of it.

I've not tried F8, but I've seen it on 7 & 9.  For some reason, at
*that* time, the system wasn't able to figure out what to do with some
device plugged into a USB port.  But it does work out what to do later
on, when you actually do want to make use of your mouse or keyboard.
Perhaps it doesn't wait long enough, after detecting a device, before
complaining about it.

I noticed that 9 did seem to take longer than prior releases at
determining what devices are connected to a system.  If one typed in
"dmesg", you'd see more dithering about before devices become ready for
use.  I haven't noticed that so much over the last few days.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.