Fedora/grub bug -- I think ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 27 17:28:00 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 08:13 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Dumb question - is this a brief flash, like the video changing
>> modes, and not a longer pause between displays of the menu?
>
> Not a dumb question. The flash lasts about 1/2 second.  Just long enough
> for eyes to catch a Fedora blue screen, the word Fedora at the top of
> the screen, and, the beginning of a menu box being written.  Then the
> screen blanks for 2 - 3 seconds ( I have tried to count the times off)
> and finally the splash image is fully redrawn.  When it loads for the
> second time the Fedora name is at the bottom.  I mention that in support
> of your idea it may be the video changing: maybe in the first instance
> the splash image is not getting drawn properly.
>
> Another thing, this started in F8.  I hadn't made the connection until
> now and it just might be my frustration making invalid assumptions.
> Keeping in mind I don't boot THAT often in order to always notice
> exactly when the issue started.  But, two or three months ago, I
> installed a new motherboard switching from an ATI video card to a Nvidia
> on board video chip.

It sure sounds like a video mode problem. I wonder if grub-install
store the VESA mode to use, and it needs a different mode for the
ATI card then the Nvida card? I do not know enough about that part
of Grub to know for sure. But if that is the case, you would have
thought that the updated Grub package would have fixed that when it
installed.

Mikkel