Upgrade from Fedora 7 to 9, no GUI

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat Jun 28 02:34:32 UTC 2008

JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
> I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not
> work.
>
> The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

This is from another thread currently on the list.
Subject Re: F9/KDE4: Can't access screen resolution changes after
software install
Author  John Munn
To get your x settings back you can shut down x with "telinit 3", then
log in as root at the command line (not an xterm).  Next you run "Xorg
--configure" which will generate a new xorg.conf file in the current
directory which you must copy to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"  (see "man
Xorg").  Finally restart x by "telinit 5".
You might try the above advice to see if manually running the X
configuration will help.  Is there something exotic about your
hardware?  It is rare for it not to be detected at all.  The more common
case when there is a problem is to have bad resolution.

 From the command line, if you run    dmesg | less   what does it show
during video card detection.  If you are getting to the command line in
a console, it is detecting some kind of video setup.  There would be a
blank screen if it wasn't.  Are there errors during detection?