png2txt -

Bob Goodwin USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 28 16:32:03 UTC 2008

fred smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:05:22PM -0400, Bob Goodwin USA wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> png is a picture file and there is no text.
>>>
>>> If you want OCR (optical character recognition - software that scans a
>>> picture for recognizable text and saves the recognized text to a file),
>>> I would suggest tesseract.
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Thanks, I will look at that.
>>

> I believe that Tesseract only understands TIF files, so you will need
> to convert the png before you can OCR them.

Yes, I discovered that requirement but now I am stumped by -

    The command line is:
    tesseract <image.tif> <output> [-l langid]

I thought "-l enUS" might work but no go there.

There's no man page, only a README and that doesn't tell me about the
langid other than it wants it.  Without it I get very strange looking text.

Bob