BOINC again !? -- I give up.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 29 04:40:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 06:48 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> If the analysis of NM starting too late in the boot process is
> correct, wouldn't one of these make life a bit more tolerable?
> Keeping in mind that I don't use F9, NM, or BOINC.  :-)
>
> 1.   Change the script number in /etc/init.d of NM to a lower number
> than BOINC or change BOINC number to one higher than NM.

While I don't use BOINC, I've had had similar issues with other
programs, and moving network manager's start up position has helped with
some, but not with others.  Moving those other things start up position
further back has helped with a few more, but not all.

I have two concerns with doing that sort of thing:  I shouldn't have to
do so much mangling to get things to work that are expected to work in
their current configuration.  And I might have to keep on fiddling
around if updates undo my mangling.

> 2.    Do not configure BOINC to start a boot time in the usual manner
> but add a "server boinc start" to rc.local.

I've had to do something similar.

It strikes me that something is *really* broken with Network Manager.
Other services wait until they start before returning to the next item
in the startup sequence.  Network Manager seems to be returning as
ready, before it is, and buggering up other things that follow.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.