PPTP VPN

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Mon Jun 30 13:48:38 UTC 2008

 Fedora user's group:

I installed the PPTP VPN on a client to connect via pptpvpn to a server
which is running it. I used pptpconfig to config the network. When I
connect, the VPN runs fine. I looked in pptpconfig and saw it does a

 /usr/sbin/pppd call myserver logfd 1 updetach persist

(I used "myserver" in this mail instead of the actual name). So I made a file
/etc/init.d/pptpvpn where under start) I do the above (along with some checking,
etc). This also works nicely, when I but (after chkconfig on) the VPN comes
up and I can connect.

Problem is, if somehow the pptp process dies, if it is in /etc/init.d it won't start up
automatically again (which I need), so instead I transfered to /etc/inittab:

 vp:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd call myserver logfd 1 updetach persist

A "kill -1 1" or reboot will start this, but a ps just shows two processes with that
but I can't ping. A few minutes later it shows two processes again but with new
PIDs. Then a few minutes later two new processes with the same parameters
(there are only 2 at a time). I can't ping anything on the VPN either (and I do
add the routes in ip-up.local so from the /etc/rc5.d script it starts up the route).

Anyway how can I either modify my script in /etc/init.d (linked to /etc/rc*.d) to respawn
in the (unlikely but possible) case the process dies, or modify /etc/inittab to work
correctly?

Thanks