speaking of grub graphical boot...

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jun 30 18:31:00 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:48 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Just a WAG, but are you using a different color map then the default
>> color map in your images? I suspect that Grub is not changing the
>> color map to match your image. But as I said, this is just a guess.
>
> That should be in the images, itself.  The images are 14 colours, it
> gets to use them however it wants.  Black and white are used by GRUB,
> for the text.  Altogether, that's a 16 colour image.  I would have
> thought basic video BIOS graphics could do better than that, but maybe
> not.
>
> All the images that I made had their own palette, and displayed in GRUB
> the same as they did outside of it.

I am thinking that you may be stuck with the basic 16 colors that go
with the 640 x 480 x 16 color VESA mode. I know that the color map
is used when you use most image display software, but does GRub
honor the color map? Another interesting thing is that the
splash.xpm file is not a 16 color image.

Mikkel