ifdown. is it really down?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 30 22:47:54 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I don't believe that it is normal to power down the device when ifdown is
> run. So the device will still flash is traffic is sent to it.

i do not 'power down'. i just use 'ifdown eth0' in a script.

also, now thinking about mentioning it, when i bring up thunderbird, there are
double flashes, 3 to 4 more doubles, sometimes 5 of ethernet led on 2wire.

out of curiousness, with fresh boot, no 'ifup', i tried as root,

  'yum check-update'
which returned,
  'Temporary failure in name resolution')>Trying other mirror.'

then,
  'ping 111.11.11.1'
received,
  'connect: Network is unreachable'

to me, this shows tbird is doing something to flash led.

thanks for reply, bruno. open to more suggestions.

--

tc,hago.

.