updating USB flash drive MBR to allow boot

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 03:23:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <
m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:13 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
>
> > My question is how do we do this with Fedora?
> > I already tried out the install-live-to-usb thingy and it did not
> > work.
> >
> > In fact the section in installing the mbr is blank at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
>
> I did this just a couple of days ago with a 1 GB Data Traveller stick.
> I'll make this quick:
>
> 1. With fdisk
>        1. delete any existing partitions on the stick.
>        2. create a new partition.
>        3. mark the new partition bootable.
>        4. write your changes.
> 2. create a ext3 file system on the stick's new partition.
> 3. run the live to usb tool.
>
> I know I missed all the details, but the steps above should be enough to
> get your stick running with Fedora 9.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ranbir
>
> --
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
> Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux
> 23:06:54 up 36 days, 17:01, 3 users, load average: 0.21, 0.30, 0.27
>

> --

Thanks Ranbir.
I ended up doing something similar, I had to change the geometry of the
flash drive, remake the partition, and reformat it.
I use it with both windows and linux, therefore I formated it on FAT32
instead of ext3.

I have been told that it is better to use vfat, I am not sure. I''ll do that
test some other day.

It is half working for me right now :)

JP

--