Installing Fedora-9 from Live CD - silent update

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 3 15:56:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 18:29 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> I think the PackageKit-Gnome's system tray icon shows what the package
> management system is currently doing. You can even click on it and see
> the queue of tasks to be done.

Only that it's doing something, not what it's doing.  I've sat there
watching flashing bars and a vague working out dependencies, and
installing files titles, but no details about *what* is being installed.

I've turned it off, and will carry on what I've done the last few years.
Type "yum update" on a command line, and watch the proceedings.

Not impressed with Fedora 9, so far.  I can see this is going to be
another release where standard advice is going to be - turn off the
package kit updater, remove pulseaudio, etc.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.