how to change the default ugly background for gdm?

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Tue Jun 3 18:59:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:55:06AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 01:13 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > Even the old plain greeter was less crap than this.  I'm thinking of
> > seeing whether GDM can be replaced, completely.  Perhaps XDM, if I
> > don't want to go down the KDE route.
>
> You can use KDM with Gnome.

Which files do you change?

I set up /etc/sysconfig/desktop with DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE and restarted
the X server, but there was no change.

The same login screen (with all the users listed, including
pseudo-accounts for system utilities) presented itself when I would
rather just have a simple login/password box.

Thanks for any hints,

---Kayvan