Slightly OT: Verify certificate?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 4 04:34:19 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:12 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> While reading my mail I have just received a pop-up asking me to verify that
>> the certificate identified as blah blah has the fingerprint more-blahs.  Just
>> how do you do that?
>
> I don't think I've ever seen that. What mail client was it?
>
> poc

sounds of msos bait mail.

anything in email that you are leery of, start konqueror, follow your kmail
path to wherever / whatever and open 'inbox' or what ever name with kwrite.

have a look at email as a file, <ctrl+f> 'html', you may find a lot. there
are several other ways of triggering mail reader to do 'bells and whistles'.

any mail you have 'doubt', under konq, right click and select 'hexedit' or
'other -> khexedit'.

if you are pre-filtering email, set it to convert html and remove java and
other tricks.

never open email you are unsure of. i believe only 'safe' email reader is
tried and proven *mutt*.

go into email reader configs, disable all 'bells and whistles', html, java,
what ever.

always remember, local filtering 'known' email leaves 'the unknown'
in 'inbox'. approach with caution.  ;0)

set filters for what you know and want. if you did not filter it,
you do not know what it is.

before linux, when i was not under unix, as in, oos, aka, msosbs,
all my 'family, friends, clients, subscribed, whatever', went thru a
path to a 'box'. all else went to 'junk'.

if some asked offline, how to send me an email, i would give them a
'subject' to use. then, before making mail run, i added 'newbox',
wrote first filter to 'subject' -> 'newbox'. when email arrived, i
read headers, edited filter, good to go.

i have no, and read no 'inbox' mail.  :o)

--

yes. i am running fedora 8, using mozilla thunderbird. and it feels good.  ;o)

tc,hago.

.