Logwatch report on another machine?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 20:12:33 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> On my network, I also need to set SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc to the mail
>>> relay host provided by my ISP.
>> Well, I do that anyway.
>> But that means all my email is sent to my ISP to deliver.
>>
>> I want local email to be sent directly.
>> I thought
>>         mailer(LOCAL)
>> in sendmail.mc did this, but it doesn't appear to on my system.
> ----
> in this case, local means local (on the same computer)
>
> as I said, if you want to deliver mail on your local network...you're
> gonna have to set up DNS and a system to act as MX for your local
> network.

Sendmail should fall back to A records if no MX exists, and it should
accept any names you've added to /etc/mail/local-host-names (requires a
sendmail restart) as local regardless of what DNS says.  If you want
network-local mail delivered to some other machine you can define
MAIL_HUB in sendmail.mc with approximately the same syntax as SMART_HOST
(i.e. use []'s around literal IPs or hostnames where you want to skip
the MX lookup).  Then mail determined to be local will go to the
MAIL_HUB and you can still send outside mail to a different SMART_HOST.

> Also on that system, you will need to make it a POP3/IMAP
> server so you can retrieve mail.

Or run mail/mutt, or something that knows how to read the inbox directly.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com