Logwatch report on another machine?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 03:21:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 22:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I think this is a misunderstanding of what I am trying to do.
> I could easily send my logwatch report to the machine I want (alfred)
> by posting it to gayleard at eircom.net , my email address.
> I collect my mail by fetchmail from my ISP every 5 minutes.
> (I also collect it from 2 other servers, including gmail.com ,
> as well as a UUCP feed.)
>
> But I think it must be possible to process and deliver it locally,
> and am trying to find out if this belief is justified.

My memory done failed me now, but during my old Caldera days, there was
an app that you installed on your "master" machine, with a little script
that was installed to all of your satellite machines that you wanted to
monitor. Basically, each of the machines that you wanted to monitor
would send log files to the master host periodically (as often as you
desired by setting some simple parameters) and when one of them went
mission-critical the app, as it scanned the log files, would note things
like hard-drive failures, net connectivity problems, anything you set it
to monitor for, and you had a screen that showed all of the machines in
green, if OK, or red, if not. Clicking on the square of the flashing red
machine would reveal the actual log and the problems. Nifty as all
heck.

The Dept of Agriculture in Texas used it to monitor hundreds of machines
on their intranet. It was free, very basic, and it worked like a charm.
For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it, for the life of
me. But, it basically did what I think you are trying to do. Ergo, what
I think you want to do, is doable! I had sendmail up and running but I
don't think it relied on DNS as all of the addresses were static. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339