make thunderbird NOT show html

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Fri Jun 6 18:55:08 UTC 2008

Mike Wright wrote:

> Does anybody know how to make Thunderbird display only the text/plain
> portion of multipart email?

As already mentioned: a quick ALT-V-B-P will set plain text viewing for
all messages.  Don't forget to disallow the default viewing of images in
messages too.

Another important thing to change is the default for creating messages,
found in the "Account Settings" dialog window.  Click on the
"Composition & Addressing" option for each account and uncheck the
"Compose messages in HTML format" option.

And while you're there, please set it so that replies start below the
original message (bottom posting).  That way no one has to read
backwards to follow a thread.  I might top post on the occasional
personal message but I ALWAYS bottom post messages to a list.

And, while I abhore html mail, there are some (very few) that I will
view in that mode.  If my hand is on the keyboard I run with the hotkeys
but if it's on the mouse I have a handy add-on button that allows a one
time switch to html viewing (and it doesn't mess with my default text
only choice).  If it's of interest search for "Allow HTML Temp" at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org
voice: +1.970.242.3331 ext 116
   fax: +1.970.245.7854