Switching virtual terminals

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 6 22:42:22 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> *virtual console*.
>
> thanks for refresh. could not recall proper 'lingo'.
>
> tho i learned them as 'virtual terminal'.
>
> i am at wonder as to now many will correct my usage of;
>   <ctrl+alt+f[1-6]> activate 'f[1-6]' command line screen
> should have been;
>   <ctrl+alt+f[1-6]> activate 'f[1-6]' virtual console
>
> maybe i will worry about it.  ;o)

The number of virtual consoles with logins are controlled by
/etc/inittab through F8. It changes in F9 - it looks like upstart
manages it. Because X grabs the next free virtual console, it does
not have to be on vc7. It is not uncommon to use other vertual
consoles to display the output from things like syslog. They can
also be used to pipe the stderr from a program so that you can see
debugging messages without disrupting the output of the program.
(You have to give yourself permission to use them.) I like using
vc10 for log messages, and vc9 for debugging output.

Mikkel