New Kernel

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 13:42:25 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> g wrote:
>> Ed Warner wrote:
>>> Is there a way to run a new kernel other than restart the machine?
>>
>> years back, there was a 'coldboot', 'reboot' and 'warmboot'.
>
> I think the PCs version of WARM BOOT was the 3 fingered salute....
>
>> now, there is just 'coldboot', ie from power up and thru bios. 'reboot',
>> ie, restart from bios with out power down.
>
> Ah yes, the RESET button....
>
>> 'warmboot' reloaded default kernel to 'memory page zero', or other
>> 'jump to' and reinstalled.
>>
>> 'warmboot' could also be passed a kernel name, which it would load to
>> 'memory page zero', or other 'jump to' and ran as new.
>>
>> because of what is needed for 'warmboot', i believe it was dropped,
>> because it was not that much time to reboot bios and new kernel can
>> be passed as an argument to 'boot prompt'.
>
> Actually, there was some "bad" hardware produced back in the early days.
> I once had a video controller that when it hung, it had to have a
> power-on-reset to clear it up.  That kinda puts the kabosh on the other
> types of boots or use of the RESET button.  Even though there are
> separate lines on the PC bus for RESET and PWRonRST, you kinda have to
> program to the worst hardware level to ensure that it all works right.
>
>> somewhere out in cyber, you may find some al programmer has written
>> a short 'warmboot'. maybe even in c.
>
> I used to work on Prime Computers.  When a process hung the whole
> computer, you could interrupt the system from the console and execute a
> WARM BOOT.  It would reset the active process list and hopefully, the
> system would continue from where it left off.  Kinda like re-starting
> the kernel, but without destroying the active process lists or resetting

Is this what coyotos does? I have not had time to play around with it
but its definitely on the list of things i'd like to learn how to break
: ) Its supposed to bring you right back to where you were in the event
of a power failure or crash among other things, IIRC , I have a some
hard copies of the stuff I read but hell if I know where I put them.
Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

www. coyotos.org

--
If opinions were really like assholes the we'd each have just one