how to change the default ugly background for gdm?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jun 8 15:39:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 11:59 -0700, Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:55:06AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 01:13 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > > Even the old plain greeter was less crap than this.  I'm thinking of
> > > seeing whether GDM can be replaced, completely.  Perhaps XDM, if I
> > > don't want to go down the KDE route.
> >
> > You can use KDM with Gnome.

> Which files do you change?

> I set up /etc/sysconfig/desktop with DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE and restarted
> the X server, but there was no change.

	That's because gdm-binary is still running.

	killall gdm-binary

	kdm should then come up.

> The same login screen (with all the users listed, including
> pseudo-accounts for system utilities) presented itself when I would
> rather just have a simple login/password box.

> Thanks for any hints,

	This latest gdm is truly asinine.  Not being able to get rid of the
butt ugly user browser is simply unacceptable, especially in any high
security environment.  The presence of a list of valid users on a system
which can be observed by any passer-by with no authentication or
authorization what so ever is simply a security hole in and of itself.
It may be worth writing up a security advisory on it.

> ---Kayvan

	Mike