All White Screen With Compiz

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:17:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:59 AM, <fedora-list-request at redhat.com> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: TNWestTex <mcforum at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: All White Screen With Compiz
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>

> Tom London wrote:
> >
> > Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:33:37 +0200
> > From: Robert McBroom (TNWestTex)        <no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org>
> > Subject: All White Screen With Compiz
> > To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> >
> > Trying for the F9 desktop effects on Gnome with Compiz.  System is HP
> > DC7100
> > with a Intel 82915G/GV/910GL integrated
> > graphics. SyncMaster 191T monitor though a KVM switch.
> >
> > compiz --replace
> >
> > makes the screen go white with the mouse cursor only.  Things are still
> > there as I can
> > click on the bar area and get the activity cursor but no windows
> > appear. The text console that I started the xserver from has a terse
> > message
> > about not finding a monitor.  Using the
> > default so there is no xorg.conf.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas about what is happening?
> >
> > Robert McBroom
> >
> > Have you tried starting compiz with '--indirect-rendering'?
> > --
> > Tom London
> >
> compiz --replace --indirect-rendering
>
> gives me a display, but the control structures around the terminal window
> and other on screen windows are gone.  There are a series of messages about
> elements being undrawable.
>
> Robert McBroom

Here is the command that "works for me":

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --indirect-rendering --sm-disable
--replace glib gconf &

If you don't get "window decorations" after running this, try running
"gtk-window-decorator&"

If you have "compizconfig settings manager", you can also run that via:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --indirect-rendering --sm-disable --replace ccp &

For reasons that are not completely clear to me, the
"LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1" makes the spurrious undrawable messages go
away for me.

tom
--
Tom London