need help with data recovery

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Tue Jun 10 14:00:50 UTC 2008

dave giurintano wrote:

> My former computer died. I had a dual boot XP and FC4 setup. I bought
> a new machine vista and figured to get my /home, all I'd need to do
> was boot form a FC9 live CD and move it ot my external hard drive. But
> all I see is the /boot partition on the old linux drive. I then tried
> to get it from vista using ext2fsd. It sees the /boot and another
> partition that is formatted raw. I couldn't any further. If someone
> could suggest where to go for more or what to do to get my old data,
> I'd appreciate the help. TIA.
>
> Dave

> Search that pays you back! Introducing Live Search cashback. Search
> Now!
> <http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=srchpaysyouback>
Probably the simplest is to boot 'linux rescue' from a Fedora
installation cd/dvd and allow it when prompted to try to mount linux
filesystems it finds.  Mounting them read-only might be a good safety
measure.

Chances are the "raw" partition contains an LVM PV, and you need LVM to
bring that online and access the logical volumes therein.  Booting
rescue will do that.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957